Tuesday, December 1, 2009

taking the plunge

"I'm confident in my aim
And every step I take -
Cherishing my successes
And surviving my mistakes."
- F.J. Shelley

A long time ago, a friend described himself as having "a determined chin." I've always been fond of that phrase, and when I'm struggling with something or trying to figure out whether or not to take a big chance, that phrase often pops into my head.

I know I don't always have it right. There are times when I am faced with a decision to make, and I know deep down in my heart I haven't given the puzzle enough thought. As analytical as I can be, I know there are instances when I just don't have enough time to give something the amount of thought I would otherwise dedicate. The road forks, and I have to turn left or turn right. There isn't much I can do but make a choice for moving forward and then just go in that direction until it's time to change course again. Sometimes, those decisions are completely off the mark, and when the realization surfaces, I'm miles off course.

One thing about myself I've come to accept is that I take risks. I could live my life standing in the same place, but I know I wouldn't be content. I push myself a lot, even at times when I would rather rest. I hate to use the word "expect," but if I'm being honest with myself, I have to admit that I expect a lot from myself. Would my life be the way it is if I lived my life any other way? Somehow I doubt it. I make a lot - A LOT - of mistakes. But I also can lay claim to a lot of amazing things, too.

So, when I fail, I have to remember - I was built to survive my mistakes.

And, once the dust clears, I know I probably won't wait for the scars to heal before I get up and go. I will strive for bigger and better things. I might fail in the process, but I'll eventually succeed.

Through it all, I have a determined chin.